Thursday, December 8, 2011

Lasagna Goes-on-ya

I can't say the word lasagna without repeating goes-on-ya. We grew up saying this because my mom always did. I haven't made lasagna in a very long time, but when it gets cold outside I love to make really hearty, casserole-like meals that I can make ahead and then throw in the oven. I made the pasta for the lasagna a day ahead and this was the first time I've made pasta for a lasagna. I think it turned out pretty well. I decided to make the lasagna with some Italian Sausage and some vegetables that we had in the fridge. I even snuck in some broccoli, a favorite of mine, but something Will won't really eat. I heard no complaints about the broccoli.

This recipe came together as I tried to remember how my dad used to make his, with plenty of guess work. We usually made lasagna with ground beef, but with Italian food I prefer Italian sausage and I always like to have fresh veggies. This recipe is easily adapted and can be made with what you prefer.

Lasagna
Pasta sheets- the recipe I used for fresh pasta makes enough for this recipe
1 lb Italian sausage
12 oz of ricotta
Shredded mozzarella (enough to sprinkle throughout layers of lasagna)
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 zucchini, chopped
1 cup broccoli
1 medium can of chopped tomatoes
1 large can of tomato sauce
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp crushed red pepper
Salt and pepper to taste

1) Saute onions in pan with olive oil, then add garlic and vegetables and saute until slightly soft, about 5 minutes, set aside




2) Brown sausage with oregano, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper, then add to vegetables



3) Pour in tomato sauce cook slightly, then remove from heat


4) In a large casserole dish make a layer of pasta sheets, then layer with meat and veggie sauce, add tsps of ricotta throughout, then sprinkle with mozzarella




5) Repeat this step until casserole is filled, about 4 layers


6) Place in 375 F oven and bake until heated through, about 35-45 minutes
7) Turn on broil to brown the cheese on top
8) Let cool slightly, then slice, serve, and enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. I didn't always say goes-on-ya, well maybe I did. Looks delish!!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete