Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Spicy Pickled Carrots

I love the little things in life. Those small touches that just make everything better. One of those things for me happens to be spicy pickled carrots. I know, it sounds a little strange. But these delightfully tangy and surprisingly spicy slices of carrots are one thing that I really miss from California. I used to eat them with carnitas tacos or as a yummy snack. But living in Tennessee has made them hard to find. I used to buy a can of them from the store, but I find those tiny cans to be insufficient for my snaking needs. Plus, homemade is always better.

So I began on a search for a simple and quick way to make them at home so I could always have a large jar in the fridge. I was happy to come across a recipe on Homesick Texan for Ninfa's Spicy Pickled Carrots. I read the ingredients and thought that it looked like it would make similar carrots to those that I used to love. So I bought a huge bag of carrots and got to work. I was shocked at how easy these were to make and how delicious they turned out. I've almost made my way through a big batch and need to head to the store before I can make some more. These are truly delicious!

Ninfa's Spicy Pickled Carrots

1 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups white vinegar
1 ounce chiles de arbol, stems removed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
1 pound carrots, cut into thin rounds
1/4 cup slivered onions
1 garlic clove
1 jalapeƱo, seeds and stem removed, sliced

1) Add the water, oil, vinegar, and chiles de arbol to a pot and boil for 5 minutes, uncovered


2) Add the cumin, oregano, pepper, and salt and cook for another 5 minutes


3) Then add in the remaining ingredients and cook for 10 minutes, or until the carrots are tender to your liking


4) Let cool slightly and pour into jars and refrigerate for up to 1 month (if they last that long)


5) Spoon out the carrots, onions, and jalapeƱos and serve with tacos or as a snack and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment