Saturday, August 4, 2012

Warm French Lentils

Lentils are one of those foods that I really wished I ate more of. I'm a huge fan of legumes, but some other type of legume usually sneaks its way into my diet. Leaving the poor lentil to linger in the back of the cabinet. But no more! I have found a great and incredibly amazing way to make lentils. While watching Barefoot Contessa one afternoon I saw Ina Garten making these lentils and I knew that I had to try them. I bought the green French lentils a couple months ago and of course, as most lentils do in my kitchen, they were left and practically forgotten. Until the other day when I was making a pork tenderloin and remembered the recipe and knew that they would be amazing with a rosemary-honey roasted tenderloin. And they were! They were even amazing cold for lunch the following day. I suggest making a big pot of these and eating them all week. They would also make a great cold salad to bring to a party.

Since this was sort of a spur of the moment decision to make this with dinner one night I sadly had not purchased any leeks. I used onions in place of the leeks. I also did not have a turnip, so that too was omitted. I am providing a link to the original recipe.

Warm French Lentils
Adapted from Ina Garten

1 onion, chopped
2 tbsp plus 1/4 cup olive oil
2 carrots, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 cup French green lentils
1 whole onion, peeled, stuck with 6 whole cloves
1 tsp butter
4 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

1) Saute onion and carrots 2 tbsp of olive oil until translucent, about 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook for 1 minute more, then remove from heat and set aside


2) Bring lentils, onion, and 4 cups of water to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender, then remove onion and drain lentils



3) Toss the lentils in with the carrot mixture and add the butter


4) Make the sauce by mixing the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil with the Dijon and red wine vinegar
5) Pour sauce over lentil mixture, toss, season with salt and pepper, and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment