Thursday, September 29, 2011

Butternut Squash Raviolis

I was at the small campus farmer's market the other day looking for some yummy fresh produce to cook with when I stumbled upon a basket of butternut squash. I had never before made butternut squash anything before, but I had on numerous occasions enjoyed them filled in raviolis. I had some misgivings about preparing butternut squash raviolis after last year's failed attempt at Halloween making pumpkin raviolis. I'm going to blame it on the pre-made wonton wrappers not sticking together.

I had made some fresh pasta the week before, and luckily had decided to make some ravioli wrappers to freeze, just in case. Well, they came in handy. So Sunday morning I woke up, had some coffee, and got started on preparing the raviolis.

They turned out amazing! The filling was smooth and had sweet flavor from roasting in the oven. We served them with browned butter and sage sauce. Nest time I think we'll make a creamier sauce. 

Filling:
Adapted from Tortellini de Zucca (tortellini with pumpkin) recipe in Trattoria Grappolo (my favorite restaurant's cookbook)

1 butternut squash roasted (I peeled and cut them into cubes, I think it must be easier to roast them whole)
Olive oil
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Dash of fresh ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste

For the wrappers use either pre-made wonton wrappers, or your own recipe for pasta (mine is from a previous post on pasta making)

1) Preheat oven to 400 F
2) Cut squash into cubes and coat in olive oil and salt and pepper; roast for 45 minutes or until soft


3) Cool slightly then add to food processor and blend until smooth


4) Add cheeses, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and blend until combined
5) Refrigerate until ready to use
6) Place ravioli wrappers on surface and begin stuffing them with a small amount of filling (enough but not too much that they ooze out of the sides when pressed together)


7) Wet edges of wrappers and seal the edges tightly
8) Refrigerate until ready to use


9) Boil water in a large pot and cook raviolis for about 3-5 minutes until cooked
10) Serve with sauce of your choice

No comments:

Post a Comment