Friday, September 16, 2011

Pork Paprikash

I was flipping through some of my cookbooks looking for something to cook for dinner. I turned to one of the pages I had bookmarked in my Food and Wine Quick From Scratch One-Dish Meals and it was a recipe for Pork Paprikash. I had never heard of this dish before but I'm a sucker for anything you can put over egg noodles. There is something so comforting about them that reminds me of my mom's cooking.

This was a really simple recipe to prepare and has a lot of flavor. I cooked the pork in the sauce for a little longer than the recipe called for and it turned out to be very tender. I also added fresh parsley from my herb garden to the noodles to give the dish some green freshness. I think next time I will also include peas in the sauce.

Pork Paprikash
Adapted from Food and Wine Quick From Scratch One-Dish Meals
  1. 3 tablespoons cooking oil or bacon fat
  2. 1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
  3. 1 tablespoon flour
  4. 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
  5. 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
  6. 1 onion, cut into thin slices
  7. 2 large green bell peppers, cut into thin strips
  8. 4 teaspoons paprika
  9. 1 1/2 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
  10. 3/4 cup sour cream
  11. 3/4 pound egg noodles
  1. In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderately high heat. Toss the pork with the flour, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper. Add about half the pork to the pot and brown for about 3 minutes. Remove. Repeat with the remaining pork and an additional tablespoon oil. Remove.
  2. Reduce the heat to moderately low and add the remaining tablespoon oil to the pan. Add the onion and bell peppers. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and the paprika. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the pork with any accumulated juices and the broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, partially covered, until the pork is just done, 10 to 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to very low and whisk in the sour cream.
  3. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the egg noodles until just done, about 7 minutes. Drain. Remove 1/2 cup of the sauce from the stew and toss with the noodles. Serve the stew over the noodles. 





  

No comments:

Post a Comment