Friday, June 29, 2012

Zucchini Pizza and Anaheim Pepperoni Pizza

This is not my first post about pizza and I doubt that it will be the last. As I discussed before, some of the simplest foods can have the most diverse methods of cooking. I recently tried a new way of preparing pizza that I've been reading a lot about. This is probably how many of you have been preparing yours, but for me this is an ingenious way of getting that wood fired taste. All you have to do is preheat the oven and pizza stone for about 20 minutes, get it good and hot, then when you put the pizza in turn the oven to broil. This way the top of the crust will get a little charred. I like to put the dough on the stone first (keep it at 500 F) and crisp up the bottom for about 3 minutes. This also makes the pizza easier to put on the stone when it is covered with delicious toppings. Take the partially cooked dough out of the oven and begin to add the sauce, cheese, and toppings. Return to oven and cook the pizza for about 8-10 minutes depending on your oven. The crust us amazing! Perfectly crispy and delicious.

I decided to test this new method with some of the fresh zucchini from my garden. So I shredded some up and added a grilled artichoke heart from the night before as well as some caramelized onions. The results were scrumptious! I always like to make two pizzas so I also included a pepperoni pizza. Only with this one I also wanted to include something from my garden so I roasted an Anaheim chili and added it to the pizza. I really love the smoky heat that it added.

Remember pizza is a great way to experiment with new and interesting flavors. For the dough recipe see this post on pizza.



No comments:

Post a Comment