Friday, October 14, 2011

My Mom's Apple Pie

Apple pie is one of the best desserts that my mom makes. Since I don't live in the same state it makes it kind of hard to have her make it for me once Autumn hits. So I called her up and asked her what she put in and how to assemble the pie I pieced together some memories of us baking them together and got to work. I was in kind of a rush so I didn't have time to make a nice crust, but I enjoy a rustic looking crust anyways.

Mom's Apple Pie
Enough pie dough for 2 crusts (I use an all butter pie dough recipe -see sweet potato pie recipe for crust recipe)
5 Granny Smith apples
4 sweeter apples (I had honeycrisp in the fridge)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar (plus more for crust)
1-2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
Juice of half a lemon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. flour
Couple of tbsp. butter
Milk for brushing

1) Preheat oven to 350 F
2)Peel and slice apples to your desired thickness
3) Coat apples in lemon juice then toss with all other ingredients, except butter
 

4) Taste an apple to see if sugar is to your liking
5) Prepare a pie pan with the crust and then pour the apples into the pan, top with some slices of butter then seal with other pie crust
6) Cut 4 slits on top of pie then brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar
7) Bake for 1 hour
8) Let cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment