Thursday, December 29, 2011

Curried Split Pea Soup with Roasted Chickpeas

This post should be called "What I got for Christmas". Will gave me "Super Natural Cooking Everyday" by Heidi Swanson and my friend Michelle gave me this awesome cookbook stand that has a clear shield to protect the book from splatter. I had never seen one of these before, but it is a great kitchen tool, and definitely saves my cookbooks from the mess.

Will and I are both feeling a little under the weather after all of the holiday madness so I thought a soup would be perfect for dinner, especially one with a little kick to it. I was searching through my new cookbook for some inspiration, and to view the beautiful pictures in the cookbook. I really need to practice my photography skills. I first came across the recipe for Roasted Chickpeas and bookmarked those, thinking I would make them at a later time. Then I saw the soup and I thought they would be a perfect accompaniment.



Curried Split Pea Soup
Inspired by "Green Lentil Soup" in "Super Natural Cooking Everyday"

1 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cups split peas
4 cups broth (I used chicken because it was all I had, but vegetable or water will also work)
1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
Salt to taste

1) Heat oil and butter in dutch oven, then add spices and let heat, about 1-2 minutes


2) Add split peas and broth and cover, cook until peas are cooked through, about 40 minutes (it really varies)
3) In food processor or with immersion blender puree split pea mixture until desired consistency, return to dutch oven


4) Add coconut milk and heat through


5) Serve with roasted chickpeas on top and enjoy!



Roasted Chickpeas
Adapted from "Super Natural Cooking Everyday"

1 can chickpeas, rinsed and dried
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp paprika (the recipe in the book calls for 3 types of paprika, but we only had one)
1/2 tsp sea salt
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp rosemary

1) Preheat oven to 425 F with rack in top third of oven
2) Make sure chickpeas are dry and then place them on baking sheet in 1 layer


3) Roast in oven for 10 minutes, then shake pan and roast for 8 minutes
4) Meanwhile, combine all other ingredients in bowl


5) Toss sauce over chickpeas and then return to oven for 4 mintues
6) Eat as they are or pair them with a main or side and enjoy!







1 comment:

  1. I make roasted chickpeas all the time! We love them :) I do them with all different seasonings on them but the standard fav in our house is ex virg olive oil, kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper. Simple and delish! Oh and that is one killer soup recipe. I think it's a winner and I am going to make it! Soon.


    p.s. if you want better food photos try using more natural light without a harsh flash or if photographing at night use diffused light. Then edit in photoshop or other editing software (there is plenty out there for free) and adjust as necessary the brightness, contrast, hue, and saturation. The way the peeps from the cookbooks do it is lots of lovely natural light and a tripod. Oh and I love how you caught the steam in the pic of the completed dish!

    ReplyDelete