Sunday, December 4, 2011

Ebelskivers

When I came back from California I was sure to bring with me an Ebelskiver pan from Solvang, a Danish town where my dad lives. I grew up eating this little Danish, spherical, pancake-like treats. Ebelskivers are one of those foods that remind my of my childhood. My dad would make these on occasion or we would go out for breakfast and get them. They are kind of tricky to make, so we didn't have them very often. But I remember watching my dad make them in the kitchen, and it always being frustrating that the first batch never quite came out right. This was a problem that I had as I made them. So don't feel bad if you have to throw the first ones away or they don't look quite right, you'll get the hang of it. This was my first time making Ebelskivers from scratch. We always used a mix. But I wanted to make a batch from the new cookbook I got. The classic way to eat these is to place them on a bed of raspberry jam, then top them with a little more jam and dust them with powdered sugar. However, in the book there are many recipes, including savory snacks, for a diversity of ways of preparing this dish. I chose the classic recipe to start off with.

Classic Ebelskiver
From Ebelskivers by Kevin Crafts

1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, separated
1 cup whole milk
2 tbsp butter, melted

1) Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together the egg yolks and milk, then add to the flour mixture


2) Melt butter and add to batter
3) With an electric beater beat the egg whites until they are frothy and stiff peaks form, then slowly fold in the egg whites into the batter



4) Preheat Ebelskiver pan and add melted butter or oil


5) When pan is hot, add 2-3 tbsp of batter into each hole and let cook until bottom is browned, then carefully turn the Ebelskiver with a knitting needle or wooden skewer to rotate so other side will brown


6) When ball is formed and sides are browned remove from pan and place in oven to keep warm
7) Repeat with remaining batter
8) Add jam to  plate and place Ebelskivers on top, then add more jam and dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment