Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

I rarely buy bananas, but for some reason I placed them in my grocery cart thinking maybe I'd make a smoothie or something. As the days went by I noticed that they had started to go bad. I thought, hhmmm, why don't I make banana bread? I've never made it before, despite how simple the recipe is. I then remembered one of my favorite breakfast foods from the dining commons in college- chocolate chip banana muffins! I usually skipped out on breakfast (I had the cheap dining plan, 2 meals a day) but days when they were serving these muffins, I had to be there! There's just something about bananas and chocolate that I love, and those muffins were pure bliss. So I searched the online archives for the perfect banana bread recipe. I couldn't really find one that I liked so I decided to alter and combine a few to make one delicious hunk of bread.

Ingredients:
3-4 bananas (I used 3.5 because I ate half of one, it really depends on the size)
1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
Pinch of salt (or about 1/8 tsp.)
1 1/2 cups flour
Chocolate chips (just eyeball it)

1)Preheat the oven to 350
2) Mash bananas (I used a potato masher) and then combine all ingredients and mix until combined


3) Pour batter into greased 4x8 loaf pan


4) Bake for 1 hour
5) Let cool and eat



Having been my first time making banana bread I was sure something would have gone awry. But to my pleasant surprise it was delicious! The bread was perfectly cooked and far from being dry. The chocolate chips added a layer of flavor that complimented the bananas. And remember, chocolate is good for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment