Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tempura

I was feeling adventurous and had always wanted to make tempura. I've made a few Japanese style foods before, mainly fish fried in panko and gyozas, but I'd never tries tempura. It started out with a search for a fried fish recipe and I was browsing through Mark Bittman's gigantic cookbook "How to Cook Everything" which I picked up at the used bookstore. He says that tempura batter is one of the easiest batters to make. I don't make too many batters, but it sure is easy. The batter coats the veggies and fish and crisps up really well when dipped into the hot oil.

I served the tempura with rice, of course, a nice cucumber and radish salad, and some delicious dipping oil.

Fish and Vegetable Tempura
Adapted from "How to Cook Everything"

2 filets of tilapia cut into pieces
3 carrots, quartered
2 onions, cut into rings
Green beans, as many as you want
Any other vegetables or shrimp, etc. you want to toss in, these were all I had in the house
Oil for frying
Flour for dredging

For the batter:
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 cups ice water
2 cups flour

1) Chop vegetables and fish into pieces

2) To make batter, whisk egg yolk with water and add flour to mix

3) Coat veggies and fish into flour then toss into batter to coat

4) Fry veggies in hot oil until crispy
5) Serve immediately and enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment