Monday, January 30, 2012

White Bean Spread and Artichoke Tapenade

My favorite thing about watching football is hanging out with my friends and eating food. I'm not much of a sports fan, but I love to be around everyone else as they cheer for their favorite team. It usually gets me excited about the game. We went over to or friends house to watch the first championship game last weekend and I decided to bring over some dips and homemade pita bread. I had seen a recipe for White Bean Spread in "Super Natural Everyday" and I knew I had to try it. I also had some artichoke hearts, olives, and capers and thought that if I threw them in the food processor I could probably make something delicious. It was great! These are both something I want to have in my fridge at all times. I made a double batch of the white bean spread and have been putting it on sandwiches all week.

White Bean Spread
Adapted from Super Natural Everyday

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 15 oz. can cannellini beans (white beans)
3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 to 3/4 cup hot water
Zest of 1/2 lemon

1) In  small saucepan combine olive oil and rosemary and cook until it starts to sizzle, about 2 minutes, then remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes, then strain to remove rosemary


2) In food processor, combine beans 2/3 of the almonds, salt, garlic, lemon juice, some of the lemon lemon zest, and 2/3 of rosemary oil and blend until combined, adding the hot water until desired consistency. Add more salt or other ingredients to taste


3) Spoon into dish and top with remaining rosemary oil, lemon zest, and almonds and enjoy!





Artichoke Tapenade
Note: these measurements can be adapted to whatever you like, adding more to suit your tastes

1 cup of marinated artichoke hearts
1 tbsp capers
1/4 cup of kalamata olives

1) Place ingredients in food processor and process until finely chopped


2) Pour into bowl or refrigerate until ready to eat and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment