Monday, March 5, 2012

Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas

Well here goes another enchilada recipe. They really are one of those foods that are really fun to experiment with. So many different fillings and sauces. I thought I would try one with chipotles. I had a can that had been sitting in the back of the pantry for a while now. I've really wanted to make my own raspberry-chipotle jelly. Oh well, another day. I had more important uses for those spicy peppers in the mean time. I thought I would try them out and try and make a smoky-spicy chile sauce for my chicken enchiladas.

To make this sauce I threw a few chipotles (packed in adobo sauce) into the food processor with half of an onion, garlic, some spices, and a can of my favorite tomato sauces, El Pato. If you've never bought a can of their spicy tomato sauce you need to. This sauce has the perfect spicy flavor that really kicks up the heat and flavor. I use it all the time. Usually in soups because I like the way it tastes better than regular old tomato sauce. It came in handy when I was thinking of what else to put in the sauce.

I went with a chicken and cheese filling, but like I said, enchiladas are the perfect food for inspiration. This can easily be made with vegetables, just cheese, or beef or pork. I had chicken, so that's what I went with. They came out amazing. Spicy and smoky, a great comfort food in my book.

Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas
1 whole chicken, cooked and shredded (there will be leftovers for soup or other uses)
12 corn tortillas
Oil for frying
Cheddar and Jack cheese, shredded (about 1/2 a lb)
1/2 onion, diced

For the sauce:
1/2 onion, diced
3 chipotles in adobo sauce
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp cumin
1 small can of El Pato spicy tomato sauce

1) Add all of the ingredients for the sauce in a food processor and puree


2) Preheat oven to 400 F
3) Fry tortillas in hot oil, just to soften to make it easier to fold them and let drain on paper towels
4) Place the tortillas in a casserole dish and fill with chicken, sauce, cheese, and onions, then roll up. Top with remaining sauce and cheese and place in oven for 20 minutes



5) Let cool slightly, then dig in and enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment