Friday, March 16, 2012

Oven Parmesan Chicken with Roasted Romaine


Bon Appetit Magazine is the one of the best things that I receive in the mail. Besides my mom's care packages of course. I love browsing through the pictures and reading the recipes. Learning about new ingredients that wind up having me research where the ingredients comes from and where I can find it to purchase. I love learning new cooking techniques and combining well known ingredients with new techniques and new ingredients with techniques I am familiar with.

In the most recent March issue I came across a photo of romaine lettuce that had the appearance of having been cooked. Huh? I thought. I've never tried that, I wonder if it tastes good? So I flagged the recipe to return to later in the week and added the ingredients to my shopping list. Luckily, the ingredients are very common and I had most of them in my pantry and fridge. The recipe is amazingly simple in technique, and has a similar taste. But it is entirely different and a delicious dish. I recommend making this soon. And then again. I know it will become a recipe I call on when we're on a tight schedule or I'm feeling lazy.

Oven Parmesan Chicken with Roasted Romaine
Adapted from Bon Appetit March 2012

3 or 4 chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh parsley
2 garlic cloves, chopped, divided
2 large hearts of romaine, halved lengthwise
1 lemon, cut into wedges

1) Preheat oven to 450 F and line a large baking sheet with foil
2) Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place on baking sheet


3) In a bowl mix together the Parmesan, panko, parsley, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, then press mixture onto chicken breasts



4) Roast chicken for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, pour some olive oil, remaining garlic, salt and pepper onto romaine leaves then place in oven after the 10 minutes have passed


5) Let chicken and romaine roast for additional 5 minutes, remove romaine and check chicken to make sure it is cooked
7) Top romaine with freshly squeezed lemon and serve with chicken and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment