Thursday, March 1, 2012

Grilled Pork Chops with Sweet Potato Hash

Last Sunday was a perfect sunny day. The sun was shining, it was warm, and there was a light breeze. We spent the day lounging on the front porch with the dog and went for a long walk to the grocery store. We picked up some pork chops to grill and I thought I would make a hash to go with it. For my birthday we went to The Block, a great new restaurant in St. Louis. The pork chops were amazing and they were accompanied with a lovely Sweet Potato Hash. Yummy! So I thought I could try and replicate the dish.

I made a dry rub similar to the one I use on my ribs and let the chops rest with the rub on them for a bit. Then Will grilled them up while I made the hash. There's nothing like cooking with a cast iron skillet. I de-glazed the pan with some bourbon ad brown sugar and poured it on top of the pork chops. It was delicious!

Pork Chops


2 pork chops
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp garlic
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp chili powder

Sweet Potato Hash
2 sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 onion chopped
1 apple, cut into 1-inch pieces
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup bourbon
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup chicken broth

1) Prepare the dry rub for the pork chops and then rub onto chops and let sit for a bit while the grill heats up then cook them up


2) While chops are cooking, heat oil in cast iron skillet and add onions, sweet potatoes, and apples. Season with salt and pepper and let brown, stirring occasionally until all sides are browned and cooked through


3) Remove the hash from the pan and keep warm
4) To make the sauce pour in the bourbon, brown sugar, and chicken stock and let thicken



5) Place hash on plate with a pork chop and top with the pan sauce and enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment