Monday, November 7, 2011

Enchiladas with Poblano Sauce

As you may have been able to tell from the previous post I am now obsessed with Poblano sauce. I was so glad to have leftovers. But I now had to come up with something to do with those leftovers. Then it hit me... enchiladas! Possibly my favorite food. There is something so delicious about them and growing up in California, they were my comfort food. Warm, gooey cheese encased in a lightly fried corn tortilla, covered in subtly spicy sauce topped with more cheese. I mean, what is better than that? I knew this would be the dish that could showcase this sauce perfectly. I grabbed a can of black beans, some onions, shredded cheese, fried up some tortillas and got to work. You could add chicken or pork to this dish if you would like, but for me cheese enchiladas are always the best. This may be one of the best recipes that I've come up with. And I finally figured out a way to make awesome enchiladas.

Black Bean and Cheese Enchiladas with Poblano Sauce
1 can of black beans
1 onion, chopped
6-8 tortillas (depending on how many servings, I made 3 per person)
Oil for frying and cooking beans
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
1 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups Shredded Jack cheese
Poblano Sauce (see previous recipe)

1) Preheat the oven to 350 F
2) Saute onion with spices, then add black beans until heated through


3) In a small pan heat oil (enough to cover a tortilla), when hot add tortilla and lightly fry on both sides, about 5-10 seconds on each side, just to soften


4) Drain tortillas to catch excess grease
5) In a pan lined with foil, begin to assemble the enchiladas by placing a portion of the beans and cheese into each tortilla, then wrapping them shut


6) When finished wrapping the enchiladas place them in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted


7) Top with enough Poblano sauce to cover them as well as more cheese
8) Switch oven to broil and let them broil until sauce is heated and cheese is melted, about 2-3 mintues


9) Remove from oven, serve, and enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment