Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake

I've had a jar full of poppy seeds sitting on my spice rack for a while now. I'd never bought them before or ever baked with them, so they lay in wait of inspiration. Who knew that inspiration would be something so familiar, I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of it before. Lemon poppy seed bread. So simple, so light, and so fulfilling. I love the subtle hint of lemon that flavors this cake and the delicate crunch of the poppy seeds, adding the perfect texture to the soft bread. I made this cake for a breakfast meal, but I think I have been enjoying it at every meal: a snack after lunch, and a dessert after dinner. I think next time I will make a raspberry sauce to serve with it.

Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
Adapted from TLC Cooking

1 cup sugar
1 stick butter
1 egg
2 egg whites
3/4 cup milk (I used 2%)
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tbsp poppy seeds
Zest of 2 lemons
Juice of half a lemon
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

1) Preheat oven to 350 F and butter and flour a bundt pan
2) Beat sugar, butter, and eggs until fluffy, then add milk and vanilla until combined 
3) Add in dry ingredients, poppy seeds, and lemon zest and juice


4) Pour into bundt pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until done


5) Let cool, then slice, serve, and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment