This may in fact be the most delicious frosting ever created. If I had known how easy caramel is to make I would have been making it along time ago. It doesn't seem like it should be that easy. Candy making was always one of those things that I thought only a scientist could make, or someone a lot more patient than I am. Yet caramel is so simple. Water, check, sugar, check, heavy cream, check. You don't even have to stir it! Just watch it to make sure it doesn't burn. Amazing. Then, to make this frosting, you add butter AND salt. So this frosting has those basic, delicious flavors that everyone craves. Sweet, salty, and buttery. You're taste buds can't get much happier. So needless to say, these cupcakes were a hit and I will be adding them to a list of my go-to cupcakes.
Salted Caramel Frosting
Adapted from CHOW
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp water
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 sticks butter, at room temp
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup powdered sugar
1) Stir together sugar and water in pan and bring to a boil
2) At medium heat, allow caramel to continue boiling, DO NOT STIR
3) When caramel has turned a light amber color, remove from heat, about 6 minutes
4) Add heavy cream and vanilla and stir until smooth, then let sit for 25 minutes
5) Cream butter, salt, and sugar in a bowl until fluffy, then mix in caramel until combined and fluffy
6) Let frosting cool in refrigerator for 45 minutes, then frost cupcakes of choice, I used chocolate, end enjoy!