Saturday, November 12, 2011

Spicy Caramel Corn

This is now a new post. I don't know what I did, but I managed to delete the original post. Oh well!

Popcorn is one of those foods that I am completely fanatical about. I love it with butter, without butter, salty, sweet, and spicy. About any combination will do! Now that I have learned how simple it is to make caramel I thought I should try coating my favorite snack in sticky, spicy deliciousness! I found the recipe on Smitten Kitchen and used it as inspiration. I added cinnamon and made more popcorn. I like a few pieces to be only slightly coated. Fair warning: the will go fast! Hide it on the highest shelf where you can't reach so you don't eat it all in one sitting, like we almost did!

A simpler way of producing a similar result is to do what I have done for a while now. When you add the kernels to be popped also add enough sugar to coat them, cayenne, cinnamon, and salt. The seasonings will adhere to the popcorn. Similar flavor, although not as decadent.



 Spicy Caramel Corn
Inspired by Smitten Kitchen

Nonstick cooking spray or vegetable oil
3 tbsp vegetable oil
3/4 to 1 cup popcorn kernels
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 to 3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 cups sugar
3 tbsp butter
1/2 cup water
1 to 1 1/2 tbsp sea salt 

1) Spray large mixing bowl and spatulas with cooking spray and line baking sheets with parchment paper
2) Pop corn in large pot until fully popped, then place in bowl
3) Mix cayenne, cinnamon, and baking soda together
4) Make caramel by boiling water, butter, and sugar together, don't stir! Cook until light amber in color, remove from heat and add baking soda spice mixture
5) Immediately pour over popcorn and stir together, then lay out on baking sheets and salt
6) Let cool slightly (if you can wait!) then enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment