Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Cure for the Common Cold Chicken Noodle Soup

I love the fall. As far as I'm concerned it is the best season, especially for baking and cooking. The only thing I don't particularly like about the fall season is that the change in weather can make me feel like I'm getting sick. For me the best cure for a cold is a nice bowl of spicy chicken noodle soup. I used to make this recipe chicken free when I was a vegetarian and it seemed to work just as well. I don't know if it is true or not, but spicy food always seems to help me get over a cold and I think wards them off as well. Believe it or not, but this soup is spicy and delicious and will warm you up on cool autumn nights.


Spicy Chicken Noodle Soup
1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
1 large onion, chopped
5 or so large carrots, peeled and sliced in large chunks
4 celery stalks chopped in large chunks
4 cups chicken broth, I like Swanson but I really should make my own
1/2 package of egg noodles
Cayenne, salt, pepper, garlic, and oregano to taste
Fresh parsley to finish



1) In a large pot heat oil and add onions and salt, cook for 1 minute or so
2) Add carrots and celery, then add spices and cook until slightly softened, about 6-9 minutes




3) Add broth and simmer until vegetables are near your desired softness and add shredded chicken and cook for about 10 mintues
4) Add cooked egg noodles and fresh parsley
5) Serve and enjoy!



This soup, like most, is better the next day, after the flavors have combined. I made this soup Sunday and we had soup and sandwiches for dinner on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment