Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese

I am always amazed by dishes that appear so simple, yet to find the perfect way of preparing it always seems like an impossibility. Like pizza, so simple, yet so complex. For this dish is macaroni and cheese. I came close the other night in preparing my perfect macaroni and cheese. After searching all over the internet and through cookbooks for the perfect recipe I decided to combine a bunch together and add things as I went along, just to see how it came out. Well, this method seemed to work for me. Of course, this is a work in progress. I keep meaning to make a mac and cheese that has a spicy pepperjack sauce. I'll leave that for next time.

Ingredients
1/2 lb (or more, I accidentally added a little too much) dried macaroni noodles, cooked until al dente
3 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. flour
2 cups milk (when I was done with the sauce and poured it over the noodles I decided to pour a little more milk in)
4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
4 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese (in the end I probably added more, what can be better than more cheese?)
Cayenne (too taste)
1/4 tsp. dried mustard
Salt and pepper
Breadcrumbs
Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 F
1) Cook noodles in salted water until al dente
2) Drain noodles and pour into casserole dish
3) Melt butter in pan, then add the flour until it thickens and slightly brown
4) Add milk and cayenne, salt, pepper, and dried mustard
5) Add cheddar cheeses
6) Cook sauce until thick and flavors have combined


7) Pour sauce over cooked noodles, adjusting milk if desired to make creamier
8) Top with bread crumbs and Parmesan


9) Bake for 20-25 minutes then broil until top is crispy
10) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment