Sunday, October 16, 2011

Lemon Ricotta Bundt Cake with Rosemary Syrup

I finally bought myself a bundt pan a week about a week ago. I bought it for a pumpkin cake which I will be making next week. But since I had never made a bundt cake before I thought I would get some practice and use up some ricotta I had in the fridge, as well as some lemons. I found a recipe for an Italian Lemon Ricotta Cake that I thought sounded delicious and a perfect end to a meal we would be having with friends Friday night. In my new Bon Appetit cookbook on desserts there is also a recipe for a pound cake with rosemary simple syrup that I had been curious about. So I thought I would give it a shot and add it to cake. I think it made a great addition. The rosemary simple syrup is sweet but has that wonderful almost savory flavor of rosemary that really compliments the lemony cake. This would be a perfect cake to serve on a warm day after a light meal.



Lemon Ricotta Cake
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
Juice and zest of 3 lemons
Powdered sugar for dusting



1) Preheat oven to 350 F and butter and flour bundt pan
2)Combine dry ingredients and lemon zest in a bowl and set aside
3) Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs, vanilla, and lemon juice
4) Add ricotta cheese and flour mixture a little at a time, alternating until combined
5) Pour batter into bundt pan and bake for 50-60 minutes


6) Let cool on rack for 10 minutes then remove from pan and let cool completely
7) Dust with powdered sugar


8) Slice and serve with rosemary syrup



Rosemary Simple Syrup and Candied Rosemary
4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of water
Sugar for tossing with rosemary

1) Combine sugar and water in pan and simmer until sugar has dissolved
2) Add rosemary and let simmer in syrup for about 5 minutes


3) Remove from heat and let sit for 30 minutes
4) Remove rosemary sprigs and toss in sugar
5) Refrigerate until ready to use



*Simple syrup can also be used in mixed drinks

1 comment: