Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Spiced Pumpkin Butter

Curious with what to do with the extra can of pumpkin puree I had in the house I was browsing through recipes for pumpkin on Better Homes and Gardens. I had never had pumpkin butter before, but I love anything pumpkin and spice flavored, probably why I love Autumn so much. I only made half a batch, but it fit perfectly into a Ball canning jar. The recipe calls for apple juice, but we had cider in the fridge and I thought it would work well. Next time I may cut down on the juice and maple syrup, it is really sweet, although it has mellowed a bit. This pumpkin butter is great on toast, muffins, and even unfrosted cookies. Plus, it makes the kitchen smell amazing!

Spiced Pumpkin Butter
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

2 cans pumpkin puree
1 1/4 cups maple syrup
1/2 cup apple cider
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt



1) Combine all ingredients in a pan and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook, uncovered for 25 minutes until thickened


2) Ladle into jars or into freezer storage and if you want decorate with Halloween ribbon


3) Store in fridge for 1 week, freeze for 6 months, or can

No comments:

Post a Comment