Friday, October 7, 2011

Ricotta Gnocchi

The other day I was searching the internet for recipes that called for ricotta. I had a lot left over from when I made those Butternut Squash Raviolis. I stumbled across a few recipes for Ricotta Gnocchi and I thought these would be perfect. I had never made gnocchi before, but they are one of my favorite dishes to order when I see them on a menu. The best potato gnocchi I have ever had were from the fusion restaurant Pronto in La Paz, Bolivia. I have no idea how the chef made them so light and fluffy. These ricotta gnocchi were really easy to make and were great with a roasted tomato sauce mixed with sauteed zucchini. Enjoy!
Recipe is in grams because I finally bought a kitchen scale and the recipe I liked best was in grams



Ricotta Gnocchi
250 grams ricotta
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp salt
30 grams Parmesan cheese, grated
50-75 grams flour

1) Mix the ricotta, egg yolk, Parmesan, and salt until combined


2) Gradually add in the flour until just combined, be careful not to over mix them, the less mixing the lighter they will be
3) Grab a ball of dough and on a lightly floured surface begin to roll dough into a skinny log, about 1/2 inch round


4) With a pastry scraper (or a knife) cut log into little pillows


5) Dust with flour until ready to use
6) Place gnocchi in salted, boiling water and cook until done (2-4 minutes)
7) Drain and serve with sauce

Roasted Tomato and Zucchini Sauce
7 Plum tomatoes, halved
3 cloves of garlic
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced into thin pieces
Crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
Splash of white wine

1) Preheat oven to 400 F
2) Place tomatoes in pan and coat with olive oil, salt, and pepper
3) Wrap garlic in foil and place alongside tomatoes and roast for 1 hour


4) Let tomatoes and garlic cool slightly then add to food processor and blend until desired thickness


5) Meanwhile, saute zucchini in olive oil with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and thyme until softened


6) Add pureed tomatoes and garlic into pan with zucchini and let cook down with wine for about 25 minutes


7) Add ricotta gnocchi and serve

No comments:

Post a Comment