Thursday, October 20, 2011

Roasted Chicken Thighs and Vegetables in Lemony Leek Sauce

This was one of those meals where I wanted to use up a bunch of stuff in the fridge and freezer but also wanted to try something new. I was thinking of making a piccata, but I also wanted some roasted veggies and all I had were chicken thighs. Then it hit me. What if I roast the vegetables and pan fry the chickens to get them crispy and then finish them in the oven? I could make a lemon sauce and make it really fresh tasting. So I got to work trying to figure out which vegetables would go well in the dish and I realized I had bought some frozen artichoke hearts and green beans which would match up nicely with some carrots and fresh leeks. So I started planning out what I would do and how I was going to make this work. I was surprised when the dish came out of the oven how delicious and flavorful it was and how all of the components really complimented each other. We'll definitely be making this again.

Roasted Chicken and Vegetables in Lemon and Leek Sauce
4 chicken thighs, with skin and bones
3 large carrots, cut into long pieces
8 or so artichoke hearts
Green beans, however many you want and will fit in the pan
1 leek
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup of vermouth, or white wine
1  1/2 tsp. thyme
Salt and pepper
Olive oil

1) Preheat oven to 375 F
2) Place carrots, artichoke hearts, and green beans in pan and coat with olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme
3) Heat skillet or dutch oven and add olive oil
4) Salt and pepper chicken thighs then add to pan and fry skin side down until browned then turn and fry other side until browned


5) Remove from heat and add to pan with vegetables
6) Remove excess fat if too much has accumulated, about 1/4 a cup
7) Add leeks to oil and cook for about 1 minute then add vermouth and lemon juice and zest and reduce


8) Pour leek sauce over chicken thighs and vegetables and place in oven covered and roast for 30 minutes, then remove covering and roast an additional 15 minutes, uncovered, or until chicken thighs and vegetables are cooked


9) Remove from oven and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment